As a professional landscaping company we are meeting with clients regularly to discuss their landscaping needs. Some clients have really thought about what they want to achieve, and are very certain about the design elements they want to have in their garden. However, most clients like to have some help and inspiration as to how they can get the best out of their garden space. Whichever client you are we are delighted to work with you. There are many thing to consider when having your property landscaped. Below are some tips to help you get the thought process going before you call in a Garden Designer or Landscaping company to build the garden of your dreams.
- Why have you decided to have your property landscaped? During our consultations with clients we find that they all have so many different needs for their outdoor spaces. With this in mind here are a few things for you to consider. Would you like a space to entertain friends and family. Are you a keen gardener that would like lots of planting and the opportunity to tend to your garden as it grows and matures. Do you have children and need space for them to play. Is there a family member with mobility issues so that you need a garden with easy access.
- What landscaping services do you require? With so many design features on offer for your garden it’s good to do some research to decide which inspire you best. Design features range from a natural stone paved patio, timber decking, gravel driveway, pergolas, raised beds, natural stone walling, fencing and lighting to water features. Would you like an outdoor fireplace, bbq area, integrated seating or timber screening for privacy. Do you like a modern contemporary design, a country cottage garden and is a low maintenance garden a priority for you.
- Do you need a garden design? Some clients have very firm ideas about what they want and where they want it. But for many of us we do need some help, guidance and inspiration! We use a computer generated design package to create your garden design. From this we can create a movie of how your garden will look upon completion. This is great for anyone who finds it difficult to visualise from a flat one dimensional drawing. It is also reassuring for a client to see exactly what the landscaper is proposing and pricing for. A garden design does have a fee so this must be considered as part of your budget. Although when we do a garden design and the client hires us for the project this fee is taken off the cost of the project. https://youtu.be/vgbbF96Blxsq
- How much is your budget? It can be difficult to gauge how much a newly landscaped garden is going to cost. One thing to bear in mind is that getting a hard landscaper in to construct a garden can be akin to getting a builder in to put an extension on your house. It’s good to know your financial limits as landscaping projects can range from thousands of pounds to hundreds of thousands. Sometimes it can be good to be honest with your landscaper about your budget as then we can advise on how you can get the most from your budget. A reputable landscaping company will not overprice your project just to fit your budget, they will want to give you the best garden they can for your budget.
- When would you like to have your project completed by? A reputable landscaping company will be in demand, and this is particularly true for the summer months. Therefore it is imperative to plan ahead. From the initial consultation, garden design production and presentation of an estimate it can take weeks, especially for larger projects. So if you would like that dream garden for the summer you need to start planning at Christmas! On average a landscaping company may have a wait time of 6 – 10 weeks. Although many reputable companies will be planning projects from a year in advance.
- How do you choose the right landscaping company for your project? If your main goal is to get the cheapest quote you need to be careful. As in life you get what you pay for, and this can be particularly true in this line of work. A reputable company will work to building regulations when putting in foundations and building walls, they will want to achieve correct falls on paved areas for drainage and will want to consider all levels on site during the construction phase. Working to these standards takes time which costs money, however you will reap the benefits in the long term with a garden that gives you many, many years of enjoyment. A well designed and constructed garden can add up to 10% value on the price of your home, and certainly add the wow factor. It will certainly increase the saleability. You only want to spend this money once so spend it wisely. You need to compare quotes to be sure materials being quoted are the same. You also need to question the construction process as cutting corners can shave money off the price but you will have a poorly constructed garden that won’t last. A good landscaping company will also supply you with a list of references for you to contact and will invite you to see the project they are currently working on. Thank you for reading our first blog, please call us for all your landscaping needs – we can’t wait to meet you! Noeleen & Sean